Sunday, March 21, 2010

Weight Loss update #2: Slow and Steady Wins the Race

OK, it's been 8 weeks. It was a little discouraging to get a reliable scale that didn't offer a new option everytime I got on it. (Even 10 seconds apart) I think I actually 'gained weight' that first week with the new scale. But, I have adjusted to honest readings & accuracy... Total weight loss is 13.8 pounds. An average of 1.7 lbs/week. My clothes fit better, I feel better, I move better. These results aren't amazingly fast, but they are... slow...and... steady... :) In fact, I think that's my new motto...

Slow and Steady, Take it Slow and Steady...

My 5th grade classes performed a musical this year called 'Bebop with Aesop'. It includes 5 of Aesop's Fables complete with dialogue and songs. Here are the words to the song that goes with the Tortoise and the Hare.


Slow and steady

Slow and steady, take it slow and steady.
Slow and steady, take it slow and steady.
It you want to win the race, then try and watch your pace.
It’s better if you take it slow.
If you’re caught up in the crush,
There’s no need to rush
‘cause steady is the way to go!

Take one step and keep that focus in your eyes.
Step by step, you’ll find you’re gonna win that prize!

Slow and steady, take it slow and steady.
Slow and steady, take it slow and steady.
Take it one step at a time, you’ll cross the finish line
With no one breathin’ down your back.
‘Cause it’s really such a breeze when you move with ease,
You’ll be the leader of the pack.

Haste makes waste, that’s one thing we can guarantee
You’ll do fine, that finish line is plain --- to see.

Slow and steady, take it slow and steady.
Slow and steady, take it slow and steady.
We have one thing left to say before we leave today.
Take it at your own pace ‘cause slow and steady,
You’ll be ready, slow and steady,
grab the confetti, slow and steady,
Wins—the—race.
Slow and steady wins the race!

The tune is pretty catchy, if I was better at blogging, I could embed it for you, but alas, I excel at other things. To hear how the music goes with the words, click on this link and forward the cursor to the 9 minute mark.

https://www.popplersmusic.com/store/index.asp?dept_Id=978&ppf_ProductId=7496




Below is a link to an old Disney version of the Tortoise and the Hare. Great advise for all of us. By small and simple things are great things brought to pass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YubN1MPVN-4

I exercise at least 30 minutes/day. Sometimes 2-2.5 hours in a day if you count my 90 minute Hot Yoga class in the afternoon after 30-60 minutes on the treadmill in the morning. I have been averaging between 26-35 exercise points/week.
After a week like that, sleep comes easily. On Friday I was so exhausted, I slept for 10 hours!

At this rate, I'll see my final results sometime in the fall of 2010.

Update...Tom decided that he liked Hot Yoga enough to join the club with me. It's really helping his back! They say it's like being your own chiropractor.

Best of luck to all of you!

1 comment:

Sara said...

Wow! Congratulations on the weight loss!!! It's not easy but it sure feels good!