Saturday, February 19, 2011

100 day health challenge

In July 2010, I visited relatives in Utah in connection with a family reunion for descendants of Emma Bravandt Jeppesen's oldest son, Peter.

There are a lot of very heavy people in my family. It can be discouraging, because I know that family tendencies towards weight gain are often inherited. My cousin had recently lost a great deal of weight, and kept it off for a while. I decided that if someone who shared my genetics found something that worked, I wanted to check it out. So, I did. By November, I had lost 3 sizes. I haven't been this thin since before Ben was born. Size 12 feels really good. I loved cleaning out my closet, several times.... :)

In November, brought several challenges which added more chaos to my life.


Chaos + weight loss = fat chance!

Weight loss ground to a halt, but, I was able to maintain the weight loss. This plateau has lasted for 4 months.
Today, I begin again, my 100 day health challenge.

Goal: Incorporate new & existing knowledge into my life to reach a new level of well being. How close can I get to my goal weight/optimum health in the next 100 days?
My body is a temple. The Word of Wisdom tells us to avoid alcohol, coffee & tobacco. In modern times, we also understand the dangers of drug use/ abuse. Pharmaceuticals even 'properly prescribed' have their side effects, and are to be avoided whenever possible. The Word of Wisdom was given as a minimum standard to the 'weakest of the saints'. At this point in my life, I am making a conscious effort to not be classified as one of "the weakest of the saints". I want to live a higher standard. I want the blessings that will come from learning about a higher health standard and living it.

During the next 100 days, I will share what I am learning and experiencing on my blog.

A recently released documentary called "Simply Raw: Reversing Diabetes in 30 days, chronicles six Americans with diabetes who switch to a diet consisting entirely of vegan, organic, live, raw foods in order to reverse diabetes naturally. The participants are challenged to give up meat, dairy, sugar, alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, soda, junk food, fast food, processed food, packaged food, and even cooked food...for 30 days. The results are amazing."

There is some very useful information in this DVD. The most inspiring for me was a young man, type 1 diabetic, who at diagnosis had tested with a blood sugar of 1200. After 30 days of following this strict protocol, he no longer needed insulin, or any other diabetic medications. Pure food is powerful!
We all know that change can be difficult. This experience of 6 people living for 30 days at a retreat in the dessert, it clearly wasn't easy for them, but they wanted change. They really wanted it!, so they were willing to do it. It reminded me of a detox center for alcohol & drug addicts. Being removed from their social (food) environment while cleaning the body, clearing the mind and learning new habits helped to ensure the success of the program for them.

I'm not diabetic, never have been, but it does run in my family......
If eating pure, raw food can help a body heal from type 1 diabetes, it's a logical conclusion that it can help keep you from developing it in the first place. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
I found this dvd at my local library and checked it out. This web site has more information and film clips.

Change #1: eat at least 51% raw food every day. I bought a food processor to help me create more palatable foods/ meals in their raw form. I also checked out books & DVDs from the library and discovered a few great recipes for raw cuisine.

No comments: